WASHINGTON D.C.: Two Yemeni men on a U.S. terror watchlist were arrested earlier this year when they attempted to illegally cross into Mexico.
The arrests occurred in January and March.
In making the Monday announcement of the assests, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency said the Yemenis were on a U.S. government watchlist for terrorism suspects and a "no-fly" list, according to a press release.
This follows information provided by a group of Republican lawmakers who visited the border in El Paso, Texas, in March. They reported that border agents told them that some people caught crossing the border were on a U.S. terrorism watchlist.
One Yemeni, aged 33, was arrested on Jan. 29 after seeking to cross into Mexico near a border crossing in Calexico, California.
The second man, aged 26, was arrested on March 30 in a nearby location.
Officials report finding a mobile phone SIM card hidden in the insole of one of the men's shoes, officials said.
The Customs and Border Protection agency said in a written statement that it is "very uncommon" for border agents to apprehend terrorism suspects at U.S. borders.
The agency did not provide the names of the men.
The terrorism watchlist is hosted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation Terrorism Screening Center. The list contains "the identities of those who are known or reasonably suspected of being involved in terrorist activities," according to the FBI.