CITY OF SAN FERNANDO, Pampanga, Sept. 17 (PIA) -- Governor Dennis Pineda issued Executive Order No. 34, banning the entry of all live pigs in the province.
Although there had been no African Swine Fever (ASF) outbreak in the province, the move aims to protect the hog and meat-processing industries from its threat and safeguard public health.
"We want to make sure that ASF will not be able to enter us so that the livelihoods and health of Kapampangans will not be compromised," Pineda said.
The governor added that checkpoints placed by the police will remain at the provincial boundaries to prevent pigs from other provinces, especially in areas where the ASF is confirmed, from entering the province.
However, he clarified that the ban will be temporary and will be lifted base on the advice of the Bureau of Animal Industry.
"With respect to pork and pork-related products, only those with National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS) seal or with appropriate Certificate of Meat Inspection issued by NMIS shall be allowed entry into the province, with the exception of those coming from ASF affected area," he said.
Aside from the banning of live pigs, the executive order also covers the creation of the Pampanga ASF Task Force tasked to create a contingency plan.
Swine inventory in Pampanga totaled 51,415 metric tons (MT) live weight in 2018, making it the third highest producers in Central Luzon after Bulacan with 259,677 MT and Tarlac with 98,591 MT, according to data from the Philippine Statistics Authority. (CLJD/MJSC-PIA 3)